skip navigation Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
Families & Children Women Teens Adults Seniors People with Disabilities
Food Stamp Program

Scam Alert

There have been reports of the general public receiving unsolicited calls from what appears to be the SNAP toll free information hotline number: 1-800-221-5689. The unsolicited callers are requesting personal information offering assistance for filling out a SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) application or other non-SNAP related services such as home security systems. Never provide personal information or your credit card number over the phone to unsolicited callers. This outside entity that has "spoofed" the SNAP toll free information hotline number is not affiliated with FNS (Food and Nutrition Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture) or SNAP. If you suspect that you are receiving illegitimate calls from 1-800-221-5689, you may file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). If you have already fallen victim to this or a similar scam, please visit for more information on identity theft.

In The News...

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has received many inquiries about a Food Stamp (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) policy change that became effective March 2014. The change impacted how DHHS determines a household's utility deductions when calculating Food Stamp benefits and what type of verification is required as part of the application for assistance.

Family at Dinner TableAbout the Food Stamp Program

The Food Stamp Program is about good nutrition and health. It provides eligible individuals and households with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, and other participating food retailers.

The Food Stamp Program also gives recipients a chance to learn more about purchasing and preparing nutritious meals.

You may qualify for food stamp benefits depending on your household size, income, expenses and resources. You may qualify even if you own your home, have no home or live with someone else. You can have a job and you don't have to have children as long as your household meets eligibility guidelines.

What You Can Buy With Your Food Benefits

With your Food Stamp benefits you can buy milk and other dairy products; meat, fish, poultry, eggs and beans; cereals, rice, pasta and other grain products; any ingredient used for baking or cooking; fruits and vegetables; cold deli foods for home consumption; ice and water for human consumption; infant formula, some special dietetic or diabetic food and "natural" or "organic" food items; and garden seeds and plants for growing food at home.

You cannot buy any kind of beer, alcohol or wine; any type of tobacco products; non-food items like cleaning products, soap and paper products; drugstore medicines such as aspirin, cough syrup and vitamins; items to preserve food such as jars and freezer containers; any "hot" prepared foods that are ready to eat; and foods not for people such as pet foods.

fruitsHow You Will Receive Your Food Stamp Benefits

Your food benefits are directly deposited once a month into your Electronic Benefits Transfer food stamp account. You will use an EBT debit card to go shopping at participating grocery stores. At check out, you will use the same card machine used by all other customers. The store clerk is trained to assist you if you need help. You can learn more about EBT at the EBT webpage.

Food Stamp Program Work Rules

Please read this important information about work rules for certain Food Stamp recipients (English) (Spanish) (Nepali) Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

If you do not understand these rules or have questions about them, please contact your local District Office or Client Services.

Are you Eligible for WIC?

If you are pregnant or have young children up to the age of 5 years old, you may be eligible for the WIC Nutrition Program. WIC offers nutritious foods, like milk and cheese and fruits and vegetables, along with nutrition education and breastfeeding support. To apply, call WIC at 1-800-942-4321 or visit the WIC Program's webpage for more information.

Food Stamp Employment & Training Program

If you get Food Stamps, we have services that can help you find and get a job. Find out more at the FSET webpage.

Food Stamp Nondiscrimination Notice

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, and in some cases religion and political beliefs.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) also prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination with USDA, complete USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at US Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (use this link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.

You may also write Ombudsman, NH DHHS, 129 Pleasant St., Concord, NH 03301-3857 or call (603) 271-6941 or 1-800-852-3345 ext 6941. TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 or 711.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

Translate this page


New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3852

copyright 2010. State of New Hampshire